Yoga.

Mar 6, 2013 18 Comments

This afternoon, for the first time in my life, I took a yoga class. (actually, that’s not true, I took one before, but it was years ago, and it might have been pilates.)

I wasn’t planning on trying it, but I was stretching in a side room at the gym, and a yoga instructor came in to get ready for his class and said to me, “yoga will help your stretching, you should take the noon class”. And I was like, “oh, I don’t think yoga is for me.” And he said, “just try one class”. And I did.

It’s weird because my therapist has been telling me to try yoga for a long time (ya know, because my head ain’t right). A therapist, and the acupuncture, and the yoga and the vodka… I don’t know what else to try to calm this busy little head of mine.

I’m not sure if it was a mistake or not, but I ran on the treadmill for about 20 minutes before the class. My legs were tired, and as a result, my tired legs gave out on me a couple of times during yoga (i.e. I tipped over). Not like, on my face, but I lost my balance while standing on one leg and had to catch myself. It’s really so much harder than I expected it to be.

The teacher was about 50 years old. A southern man. He was very calm. Throughout the class he kept saying to everyone (all 14 ladies and me and a gender questionable person)… he kept saying to everyone “Everything is fine”. “Everything is fine”…. but in a very soothing way. “Everrrrythinnnng is fiiiiiiiiiiine.” sigh.

I don’t know why he kept saying it, or what it was, his voice, or the clutter-free room, but everything DID seem better after he said it. It kind of felt like when a parent tells you “everything is gonna be fine, kiddo“. It was very reassuring, and it made me feel really calm.

The class was an hour. I sweated more than I expected. And I saw more of one woman than I had wanted.

I think I’m going to go every Monday. i hope it gives me some inner peace. (and a wider back).

Comments

• BD
    Nov 17, 2009 at 7:04 am

Good point- what the hellck *is* the difference between yoga and pilates?
    Glad you’re doing something for yourself.

p.s. Happy iStore Genius Rchl day, everybody.
    (The vowels have been removed to identify the guilty.)
    …and no, Rchl, for you everrrrythinnnnng is not fiiiiiine. You’re a…well, let’s not start THAT again.

• Lisa B
    Nov 17, 2009 at 9:44 am

Good for you Matt. I keep talking about trying it and never do. I was going to attempt HOT YOGA, but some people scared me away from it.

• MA
    Nov 17, 2009 at 11:21 am

Falling over is, like, required in yoga! Totally normal. Balance is so much harder than it would seem. Can you get the guy to make a tape of himself saying “everything is fine?” I think I could use that for my busy head.
    Loving your blog!

• Patrick
    Nov 17, 2009 at 11:39 am

• JV
    Nov 17, 2009 at 11:41 am

YOGA is awesome. Love it, haven’t done it in a while but hoping to get to class tonight. I would love to try hot yoga sometime, suggestions?? It is supposed to really help you get into and hold poses as the muscles stretch better.

• G-Dawg
    Nov 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm

OH, great now there are three things I don’t know Yoga, Pilates and HOT Yoga, what else will I need to know to relax, It’s so irratating and frustrating and stressfull, I think I need trerapy.

• G-Dawg
    Nov 17, 2009 at 12:03 pm

OOP’s and now I can’t even spell, I’m so upset ! ! !

• Julia
    Nov 17, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I only do high energy stuff..like run, b/c I figure it’s exercise..not relaxation time, and it does clear my head. Plus, yoga always seemed so boring to me..but, I understand..It’s like meditation. I should probably try it :)

• Erin M
    Nov 17, 2009 at 12:25 pm

HOT YOGA is where it’s at! I became obsessed with Bikram (hot) yoga when I was living in Boston and go to classes whenever I’m travelling in any major city. Although we don’t have Bikram studios locally, I encourage you to try a heated class at either Heartspace Holistic (link already provided by Patrick) or E-Studio in Newton Plaza (http://www.estudiohot.com)…it’s addictive and I think you’ll fall in love with it!! Namaste!

• Janna
    Nov 17, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Matt, I am so happy for YOU that you found yoga and from what you say in your blog it may turn out to be a great form of exercise for you. Sorry, but what follows is a long blog entry but now you’re right up my alley, Matt (Aunt Janice here).

I have been doing yoga on and off for over 30 years starting with Richard Hittleman

• kbarr
    Nov 17, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Did Puppy Love get removed??? Lets just have singles parties at matt’s house..

• Lisa B
    Nov 17, 2009 at 1:35 pm

There is now a hot yoga studio in Saratoga for any one interested. This is the place I”m contimplating. http://www.hotyogasaratoga.com/home/

• Jenn
    Nov 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I have been teaching group exercise classes for the past 20 years and I love, love, love my high energy classes, but my fitness regime would not be complete without my mind / body classes.

We have a style of class at Gold’s Gym in Latham called Body Flow. It is a combination of yoga, pilates, and tai chi and it is all done to music; the three different styles combined are great for all around strengthing, balancing, and stretching. I know that some yoga purists don’t like the inclusion of music in classes, but it does add an amazing aspect to the experience. Not to mention that for some of us, music is a great motivator.

Good luck with your new found interest!

• Edna
    Nov 17, 2009 at 7:04 pm

G-Dawg,I know what you mean.I tried to use an exercise ball once and almost put my foot through the glass coffee table.My daughter just said that”it was the funniest thing Ive ever seen” no balancing acts for me,or you,or Colleen,lol

• D
    Nov 19, 2009 at 9:39 am

Try the Latham gold’s class with Daniel.
    My fav part about yoga is that you cannot think about anything else, or you WILL lose your balance so it kind of forces you to “forget everything” and it’s soooooo relaxing

Hope you stick with it!

• Adam Wade
    Nov 19, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Thanks for the shout-out Matt!

Falling is one of my favorite yoga lessons. When you fall, you get back up and try again – just like in life. And interestingly enough, the more you fall, the less afraid of falling you become — which in turn leads to falling less.

The realization here is that often in life we fall only because we’re afraid of falling. In our modern psychology this isn’t really news, but when you think that these lessons date back 5000 years it gives you some real perspective on and respect for the practice.

Come to yoga at David Barton with me! I promise there will be more man-candy there than at Shequinox.

xoxoxoxo

• SH
    Nov 19, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Namaste Matt! I’m thrilled whenever I hear someone has tried yoga…..I’ve been doing ‘power yoga’ for 10 years and, like your Aunt Janice, it’s all the fitness I need. I hope you will stick with it because it has the power to transform your life, on every realm-physical, spiritual and emotional.
    There are so many styles of yoga for every type of person. Power yoga, or ashtanga yoga, is more aerobic and focuses on deep breathing while doing the asanas or ‘poses’.
    Seek out a class in NYC–I’m sure there will be more men attending classes down there ;-) Om Yoga studio is in Union Sq. and Laughing Lotus is on West 19th St. off 6th Ave.
    Like D says, try Daniel at the Latham Gold’s….I know he does private yoga sessions if you’re into that.
    I can’t believe no one else has mentioned that people who do yoga have THE BEST SEX EVER!!!

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:45 am

I love how falling has become an important feature on this Yoga topic. Guess that puts you all now in good company, huh? Ancient saying: fall down 7 times, get up 8……let us all just think about that for a minute.

Now, Matthew where the heck are the size XL t-shirts? I’ve got birthday festivities to plan for, and those XL shirts are a necessary item.