1. Â She made our family a home cooked meal every night (except weekends) when I was a kid. Â I would walk into the house after school, and the entire house would smell like sauce. Â (i.e. spaghetti sauce.)
2. Â She loves manhattans. Â (not the borough. Â the strong drinks).
3. Â She loves to golf. Â And she loves, and works for, an organization called AYSO, who’s main objective is to encourage every child to get involved in playing soccer. Â (best sport on earth).
4. Â As a kid, she never hesitated to tell us when we had bad breath. Â As an adult, I am now 7 million % paranoid that my breath always smells bad, so I now brush my teeth and floss every 45 minutes.
5. Â When I was growing up, my mom had a grey streak in her hair, (think Josie & The Pussycats), and she had it until I was in 5th grade and then suddenly got rid of it. Â I loved that grey streak. And even as a super cute young gay kid, when I noticed she had started dying it, I wanted to say, “ohÂ honey. Â bring back the streak.“
6. Â Her answer to everything is, “Google it.”
7. Â My mom’s parents have had to move into an “assisted living home” Â (read: nursing home), and my mom is there non-stop bringing them food and dimes for BINGO.
8. Â She clearly loves me more than my 2 brothers, David and Steven.
9. Â She taught me never to be afraid to bake in the sun. Â Because “you never look healthier than you do with a tan”.
10. Â She has recently convinced me how wrong it is to post the photos of me getting pulled for speeding… on Facebook.
11. Â In the 90′s and early 2000′s, my mom used to bake homemade Christmas and Valentine’s Day cookies for everyone who had dinner at Bombers Burrito Bar on Lark St.
12. Â She always burnt the popcorn because she prefers the taste of burnt popcorn. But as a kid, I remember thinking, “it’s weird that mom can make us chicken francaise, but can’t heat up popcorn.”
13. Â She only calls me Â “Matthew”.
14. Â She’s in love with Richard Gere, and hates Sally Field.
15. Â She’s an amazing grandmother to my nephew, Sam, and my nieces, Alison and Lidia. Â :)