Warehouse District Map.

May 24, 2011 27 Comments

Forgive me, Father, for I have attempted graphic design.

I really wish I had studied Photoshop in college instead of that damn beer pong course.

The map above is my attempt at simplifying things for you in what is about to become the exciting new Warehouse District of Albany, NY.

Starting from left to right  (or South to North, depending on how nerdy you are), we have:

677 Prime.    Owned by the local legend, Angelo Mazzone.  677 Prime is one of my favorite restaurants in the entire world.  Delicious, creative food, perfect service, and amazing drinks. It’s not cheap, but you get what you pay for…a wonderful experience.

The Olde English.  Scheduled to open in Summer 2011 (probably August, but don’t hold me to it).  To be owned by Greta & Mark Graydon, Demetra & Jimmy Vann (who are owners of Wolff’s Biergarten), and Matt Baumgartner (who owns Bombers Burrito Bar, Wolff’s Biergarten and writes for Friday Puppy.  Matt can often be found at a bar nearest you trying to shake off his latest panic attack by licking the inside of empty martini glasses.)

The Olde English will feature quality English beer and food, and will have a gigantic back patio where you can get your drink on.

Albany Pump Station.   I apologize to our friends at The Pump Station.  I forgot to include them in the map the first time around.  In my head, I went down Broadway, but I forgot about the Pump Station tucked back there off the street.   Anyway, it goes without saying, but Albany Pump Station has delicious beer and great food.

Miss Albany Diner.  (that says Miss Albany Diner.  I never liked yellow for this exact reason.  Unless it’s used for writing my name in snow.)  Miss Albany Diner is owned by Jane Brown, and her son, Bill.   It is a local piece of history, and the spot where I eat my eggs and ham every morning I’m in town.

Wolff’s Biergarten. Owned by Matt Baumgartner, and Demetra & James Vann.  Wolff’s Biergarten features many German, Czech and Belgian beers (and delicious, authentic German food.)  Also, Wolff’s is a soccer bar, and where you should be THIS Saturday @ 2:30 to watch the Champion’s League Final.

Stout.  Owned by Mike Graney (who also owns Graney’s on New Scotland Avenue in Albany, NY), and two other guys (I think) whose names I can not remember.  At this point I would like to point out that I am not an actual journalist.

Stout opens this week, and is located directly across the street from Wolff’s Biergarten.  It is going to be an Irish Pub which means I just got a little drunker.

Thatcher Street Pub.  Owned by I Have No Idea, Thatcher Street Pub is awesome.  It’s a dive bar, and when you go to Thatcher Street Pub, you might want to leave your wife home.  They have really great pizza (which is free on Thursdays, I think), and a pool table, and um, darts.   They also have……Oh fuck it… it’s a bikini bar.  There, are you happy?  It has hot girls in bikinis serving you cold beers and good food.

Rosie, who works during the day, is my favorite.  She doesn’t sport a bikini, however.  But she is a hoot to talk to.

The Barrel Saloon.  Owned by Chris Pratt (who also owns Pearl Street Pub, and every karaoke mic he’s ever met), and Alessio Depoli.  The Barrel Saloon opens next week, and is a country rock n roll bar with tons of beer and whiskey.  They’re going to featuring NASCAR and live music.

Hope this helps.  I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have after my nap.

Comments

• karen.
    May 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm

the albany all stars’ ironworks didn’t make the map? ouch.

• Matt
    May 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Oh Karen, you know it’s just a map of bars.

• Courtney
    May 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Albany has a bikini bar!?!?

• Chris
    May 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Matt, any specials during the Champs League Final? I will be there with my Dad for his 60th, trying to convince him to give me his boo, err trying to convince him to drink the boot!

• Sarah
    May 24, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I don’t mean to correct you but under The Barrel Saloon you have Stout opens next week…I assume you mean the Barrel Saloon opens next week? Awesome map and info!! Thanks!

• Ferfer
    May 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Hmm, looks like you’ve lumped part of the “Theater District” into your “Warehouse District”.

Wouldn’t the Southern boundary more realistically be at the train tracks?

May 24, 2011 at 2:01 pm

now if we could just the the Albany aqua ducks to begin a trolley service to travel to and from easier.

• Matt
    May 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm

@Ferfer… Yes, you’re right. I thought I’d add those as points of reference.

• Teri
    May 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I have much admiration and respect for you Matt, and your establishments…you think outside of the box. Very cool. Having worked at the Albany Pump Station for the last decade, I’m a little offended that the APS is not on your map.
    Although, I’ll cut you some slack…I, too, have attempted graphic design once upon a time.

• S&T Fan
    May 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm

By definition, anywhere Sin spends that much time IS a bar.

• karen.
    May 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm

@matt, i tried to convince the girls to install a kegorator. would that have qualified us?

• Matt
    May 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Nice map and best of luck to these fine establishments, I was also curious any Champions League final specials going on Saturday? Peace, you and your friends are doing a fantastic job in Albany nice to see some major changes going on downtown in the goldmine of a fantastic city! Cheers!

• creed
    May 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm

what about the pump station?

• Carl B.
    May 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm

So when is the first block party?

• Brian
    May 24, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Perhaps these new bars will have more than 2 urinals for hundreds of men!

• tolar111
    May 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Thatcher Street Pub rules!

• Mer
    May 25, 2011 at 8:22 am

So excited for the Olde English!

• Helen
    May 25, 2011 at 9:11 am

This map was very helpful. Thanks for posting.

• Wayne
    May 25, 2011 at 10:29 am

Looking forward to a Warehouse Dist Pub Crawl!

• Goose
    May 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

This is the reason Albany should have a light rail, like Baltimore. A continuous route from Prime to the Barrel, from 4pm to 4am…

Make it happen, Jennings!

• Summer
    May 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Actually, this is pretty awesome (and looks good!). I’m excited about all the changes that are happening, and this map will help me to know where I need to stumble…er…walk to get from place to place.

• tolar111
    May 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

You did missed two places. The first one, has in the past claimed to be the oldest building in Albany, The City Line Tavern, 1144 Broadway and 1118 Broadway, another awesome club (not really).
    Did Mark show you the Triumph shirt?

• Chris
    May 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

Actually I think instead of a light rail it’d be cooler to have the corridor a bit more lit (not streetlights but nice side walk lights) and a dedicated pedicab/rickshaw lane.
    I love the pedicabs in Austin, TX and think they’d be great for the warehouse district especially with how nice our NY Spring-Fall evenings can be.
    English, Irish, German and Saloon, can’t wait. (also spell check just suggested one L for Saloon)

May 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Northeast Epcot; saves me the plane fare to Florida!

• Tommy B
    Jun 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm

The various business may want to consider establishing a busing system to transport individuals from the Lark St. area to the Warehouse District. Filling a bus by charging a dollar or two per person would be a great way to promote the area and provide safe transportation without people having to pay the price of a cab. Picture this…a pimped out Mystery Machine-esque bus with crazy lights and great music carting people to and from the area! Boooooom!

• Kristina Krawchuk
    Jun 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I think I just peed myself.
    Fortunately I’m not in a public place…
    Kudos on on warehouse district – sounds wonderbus!

Perhaps Friday Puppy should go cable……a sweet treat for those who love to see & hear the down and dirty.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I drove by The Olde English this morning on the way to work and the front looks beautiful; all the plants and the iron railing look so classy; kudos for improving the looks of that corner; can’t wait for it to be open to the public.