Free Bombers’ Burritos on 4/20.

Apr 19, 2010 16 Comments

This Tuesday, at both Bombers Burrito Bar locations (258 Lark Street, Albany & 447 State Street, Schenectady), we will be giving away FREE BURRITOS from the hours of 11:00am – 4:00pm (both upstairs and downstairs.)

The reason behind this free burrito day is to raise some money for 2 of our friends/customers who have stumbled across some bad luck recently….

Mike Conigliaro, a young guy and a local Siena Grad, was diagnosed with cancer in 2008.  He’s had a tough bout with it, having to go through four treatments of chemotherapy.   I could go on and on and tell you how shitty it’s been for Mike and his new wife Christina, but I think it’s told perfectly here, on his friend Graig’s fundraising page.  Please read it.

To help raise money for Mike, we will be giving away free burritos at our Lark Street location on Tuesday 4/20, and there will be a table set up at the entrance of the restaurant where you can give money to Mike’s cancer fight.   If you can’t make it in for your free burrito, you can also give to Greg’s “Run for Mike 2010“.

Alysia Santo, 24, grew up in Rotterdam N.Y. and attended Mohonasen schools. Following graduation from college she moved to New York City and was working as a waitress while applying to graduate schools. She was accepted to Columbia’s School of Journalism on Mach 12th 2010.

On March 31st 2010 she was diagnosed with Leukemia.

Forced to give up her job and lacking insurance, Alysia temporarily returned to her parents house in Rotterdam.  She is currently undergoing treatment with chemotherapy drugs that necessitates frequent appointments at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. She is hoping to move forward with her plans to attend Columbia, dependent upon the success of her treatment.

So heartbraking!!!!

To help raise money for Alysia, we are going to set up a table at our Schenectady location where you can donate money to help Alysia with her fight against Leukemia.

Mike & Alysia, we wish you both a very speedy recovery, and hopefully we’ll raise a lot of money for you both.

To anyone interested, please feel FREE to get burritos at both places if you’d like, just show up with some bills in your hands to give to these fine folks.

Comments

• Allie
    Apr 19, 2010 at 6:51 am

Matt – this fundraiser us by far the *best* thing I’ve heard/read about in a long time! I will be there and plan on bringing my friends. Fire up the burritos!

• Pingback: Storytelling, Earth Day, More — Capital District Fun

• Jeff
    Apr 19, 2010 at 10:40 am

great causes! I’m sure there will be a lot of people out and about with the munchies that day!

• lola
    Apr 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm

hey matt, what if we can’t make it in before 4???? will the tables be set up all night?

• AnnaLee
    Apr 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Matt, good Karma goes a long way in this world, and you are earning your fair share with this event. Congratulations on being a genuinely good person and caring for those around you, it will all come back to you!

• Matt Baumgartner
    Apr 19, 2010 at 1:44 pm

@ lola… I don’t think the tables will be sticking around all night. But you can donate online.

• Pingback: Free or Cheap Albany Kid’s Events April 19-25, 2010: National Park Week, Earth Day, and Youth Service Days | Albany Kid

• Robin
    Apr 19, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Matt, I love your blog and have been reading since you were over at TU and you just made me love it (you?) even more! I went to high school with Christina Conigliaro and she and Mike couldn’t be more deserving of your help! Thank you so much for everything you do for the community. You’re a great guy and an awesome blogger.

• Edna
    Apr 19, 2010 at 5:14 pm

What #5 said! hugs…

• Jess
    Apr 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm

This is a great idea and I’m so excited! Do you get to pick any kind of burrito or is the free burrito a certain kind?

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:54 pm

From what I recall, it takes a while in line to get up to the front, so tell your boss (at work, at home, in the kitchen, oh sorry) that you’ll be longer than the normal hour-lunch. My advise is get their early and be ready to donate to the cause at your chosen establishment….and what Edna says!

• Beth
    Apr 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Reading this touched my heart. I love reading the different stories on Friday Puppy but this one was very special. I don’t live in the Albany area but they are very lucky to have you in their community. Standing O to you Matt. I will visit the link Thanks for the inspiration

• Pingback: Free burritos at Bombers - On the Edge - Kristi Gustafson - Style Fashion Dating Blog - timesunion.com - Albany NY

• M.
    Apr 20, 2010 at 9:49 am

Matt,

Thanks for posting this. Christina was my son’s teacher a few years ago, and we love her. I didn’t realize that Mike was in bad shape, and I appreciate your linking to the donation site.

• Kevin
    Apr 20, 2010 at 10:41 am

My heart goes out to Alysia. Last year I was diagnosed w/ cancer and had to do the whole ‘moving back w/ the parents thing’ – then lost the job, and am trying to rebound in this economy (but cancer-free!) I’m going to do my best to get down there today and donate to the cause!!

• The Original Colleen