Bad apple.

Nov 9, 2009 52 Comments

First of all, I like to think of myself as a pretty easy going guy.  Actually, that’s not true.

Let me start over.  (and I’m sorry for the negative vibe of this post, but I’m pissed. where’s the vodka.)

About a month ago, I dropped my 9th iPhone on the ground and the glass face shattered.  It has happened to every one of my iPhones.  (Yes, I know.  If I had a protective case around it, it wouldn’t have shattered.  I need to start using one.  seriously.  It’s my own fault.)

However, every time I answer the phone, I think I’m going to slice open my face on the shattered glass.  So, I took it to the 14th Street Apple Store in NYC to get it fixed.

My first mistake, and I should have known better, was that I didn’t make an appointment, so when I walked in, they told me they had no more “genius bar” appointments that day and an employee helped me make a reservation for me the following day at 2:15.

I showed up the following day at 2:00pm, and someone finally got to me at 4:00.  I told the guy about the shattered glass and wanted to know my options.   My options were this:  1.) replace the glass for $199.  2.) buy a new iPhone for $699.   I was like, “yeah, ok.  I’ll just repair the glass.” (because the phone was working just fine, and until there’s a Handjob App, I’m not paying $699 for a new phone).  The guy went in back and came out and said, “because the glass damage is so extensive, we can give you a  reserviced phone for the same price” ($199).  I was like, “ok, great!”

apple

To make a long story short, I brought the “new” phone home, and it wouldn’t turn on.  I was like “just breathe“.  I tried everything and nothing worked.  So I brought it back to the same Apple Store, and I told the “greeter” what happened, and he said, “you need to make an appointment”.  I was like, “you’re kidding me.  I was JUST here, and you guys gave me a bad phone.”   And to make matters worse, there were no available appointments until the following day.  I went to the Genius Bar and asked them, only to be given the same answer.  Make an appointment.  I was like, “that’s fucked up”.  and I left.

The FOLLOWING day, I had to be back in Albany at 3:00pm, so I wanted to be on the road by noon.  But the first available appointment at the 14th St. Apple Store wasn’t until 1:00pm.   I called the store, and explained the situation and whoever I was talking to on the phone told me to come in and they’ll “try to fit me in”.

I get to the Apple Store at 10:00 am.  And I explain the situation to some girl named Rachel.  She was like, “do you have an appointment?”  And I was like, “well, I did yesterday, but the phone you guys gave me doesn’t work.”

And she said, “No, I get it, but do you have an appointment todaaay?”   Blood boiling.  ”Rachel.  No I don’t.  I just thought you guys could help me out here after spending 2 hours yesterday waiting for my appointment, only to be given a bad phone.”  ”Sir, you need an appointment today.”  I wanted to shove my fist into one of the new iMacs with the beautiful 27″ screen.   I angrily explained to her how I had an appointment yesterday, spent $200 and was given a broken phone.  Tried to come back just after, but no one would take me.  And yes, I used the F word a couple times.  Although I probably shouldn’t have.  It definitely did NOT help my situation.

So she said, “Sir, it’s very busy.  Have a seat and we’ll get to you as soon as we can.”    Fine, Rachel.  At this point, it’s pretty safe to say we hate each other.

So I sit there for an hour and a half.  And nothing.  I am watching people come in after me and get helped, and my name is no where to be found on the appointment queue.   I went back up to Rachel and said, “Rachel, I know you guys are busy, but what should I do here?  I’ve got to be on the road in 15 minutes, and I’ve already been here for like 2 hours.”  And she said, “sir, I don’t know what to tell you.  You don’t have an appointment.  If you had an appointment, I could help you. Why don’t you make an appointment and come back.”   I’m pretty sure she smiled at me.  I seriously almost lost it.  I almost got arrested in the Apple Store.  If that C U Next Tuesday used the word “appointment” with me one more time, I was gonna shove my boot so far up someone’s Nano…

It was so frustrating.  And she was such a total bitch.   I waited until 12:00, no name called, and no help from Rachel.  So I left.

I drove to Albany, went to my meeting, and then headed to the Crossgates Mall Apple Store.  Some guy at the Genius Bar named Matt  helped me immediately.  He was so incredibly patient and helpful, and he got me a new, working iPhone in like 5 minutes.  And he showed me how to set up Mobile Me.

Crossgates Apple Store – 1

14th Street Apple Store – 0

Comments

• Ed
    Nov 9, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Matt,
    Check out http://www.missionrepair.com

• christy the homebirther
    Nov 9, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Remember Brian from the Mac Crossgates store? He helped me get back 2 year of my life when my ibook crashed. Remember that shirt he gave me that said ‘genius’. Remember you wore it out of here one night? I think you should change the score 2 (xgates) – 0 (14th st).

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:59 pm

….and now another reason why Albany is more Awsomer (made that up) than NY; I’m just sayin’!!!

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:17 pm

ive gone to the crossgates store several times to get my macbook or iphone checked. I never made an “appointm***” and they always help me. such a good store. never been the the 14th street one though

• Breenla
    Nov 9, 2009 at 7:26 pm

My first thought was to call a few times and make random appointments for the next few days at the 14th street store…just to not show up and give someone else your time slot. (Does it work like that?) Pay it forward at its best. haha. I’ve always had good luck with the Xgates Apple Store.

• K-
    Nov 9, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Witty blog title.

• Dana
    Nov 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Sorry about all that, but funny story. Sometimes the smaller-town help mis always better.

• Wendy Sue
    Nov 9, 2009 at 9:19 pm

That’s NYC for you! Only in Albany, we have the best!

• Brad
    Nov 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm

… And this is why I own a Samsung flip phone. It cost me $10 after a $30 mail-in rebate and it works perfectly fine.

P.S. – I was down at the Biergarten Saturday for my birthday boot, and it was awesome and delicious. You may have seen me chugging the final few gulps with my “Happy Birthday” tiara on. I think I counted 6 people celebrating birthdays that night? Way to represent!

• My name is not Jenna
    Nov 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I have never been to the one in NYC, but have never had any problems with the Albany Apple store! I love my MAC and would never go back to a PC!!! Now go get yourself a protective case and a screen protector!

• Julia
    Nov 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm

“Rachel, this is going on my f*&king Blog!”..

• Joseph Chaparro
    Nov 9, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Wow, Rachel is a mega biotch! You should of punched her tits.

• Mark
    Nov 10, 2009 at 7:48 am

I feel your pain. The MAC stores need to work on their customer sales & service. I have dealt with both because of work. You end up being better off ordering a MAC online from a reputable site other then MAC themselves to get around the hassles including repairs.
    Luckily you had luck in the Albany store.

• Pingback: Baaddd Apple Store customer service - On the Edge - Kristi Gustafson - Style Fashion Dating Blog - timesunion.com - Albany NY

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:14 am

That was great to start off my day! But a “Handjob App” ewwww….

• Dave
    Nov 10, 2009 at 8:21 am

So my understanding is this retail clerk or secretary felt like a doctor? Seriously 2 hrs for a phone? Careful when you kick her Joseph she may start ringing because the phone will be far up her a$$. What is the deal with making appointments these days? It is so rare someone (Doctors) are actually on time for their appointment. For the doctor I will wait but for a cell phone, never!

• Lisa
    Nov 10, 2009 at 8:50 am

You had me until the “Next Tuesday” reference. Then I stopped reading. I get that you were pissed, but that really wasn’t necessary. You are better than that Matt.

• Kliz
    Nov 10, 2009 at 9:32 am

The see you next Tuesday comment was totally necessary :).

Mac is starting to stink because they know people will still buy it for the image. My friend who lives in the city, Mac just crashed for the second time in a year. She cried at the store and managed to get helped, but she still lost everything. It’s her last semester at school…I feel so bad. So I guess it could be worse.

• Lisa B
    Nov 10, 2009 at 9:38 am

Fantastic. I can completely understand what you went through. The lack of customer service ANYWHERE nowadays is sickening. I go in with no expectation whatsoever. Isn’t that sad? Good for you. If they treated you with any kind of respect you wouldn’t of had to get all crazy upstate on their ass.

• Just my thoughts
    Nov 10, 2009 at 9:41 am

Matt – I don’t know how you stayed so calm. I might have completely lost it. Maybe we should all gang up and call and complain about “Rachel”

And Lisa…really?? That offended you so much you stopped reading. This is so silly…it is just a word….grow up.

• BrooklynGoose
    Nov 10, 2009 at 9:49 am

They take the word ‘genius’ too literally over there at Apple.

Reason #1,345 why I will never get an iphone.

• BrooklynGoose
    Nov 10, 2009 at 9:52 am

Wendy (#8) you just sound dumb, sorry.

Lisa (#17) stop being so sensitive, it’s a word…and he was even nice enough to disguise it a little bit for those of you with precious, virgin eyes and ears. Grow up.

• Christine
    Nov 10, 2009 at 9:53 am

I would have flipped sh!t!!!! I have absolutely no patience at all, especially when the customer service people are being snotty!!!!

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:06 am

So, I had no idea what “Next Tuesday” meant – had to read several times. Now I get it! And if I was that pissed off at a service person, even I would have written it in my blog (and I’m a 47 year old woman!). I wouldn’t say it outright to her face, though, which I don’t think Matt did.

• Mick
    Nov 10, 2009 at 10:07 am

I would have uttered some things out of my mouth in a similar fashion. What I don’t get is why didn’t you just deal with the Albany store to begin with?

• Kaye
    Nov 10, 2009 at 10:08 am

I think you showed remarkable constraint. I would have probably been arrested.

• PT
    Nov 10, 2009 at 10:10 am

Matt, I can certainly relate but my experience was with the X-gates Apple Store. I bought my partner an iphone for his birthday a couple of years ago when they were new and shiny and cost more than a new kidney. Fast forward to today. He’s suffered through at least 4 replacement iphones that keep malfunctioning. I spent over an hour at the Apple store one day, albeit without an appointment, trying to get a reasonable answer from the Stepford Geniuses only to be told that I had to deal with corporate. They eventually replaced a $400 phone with a refurbished $200 phone and would not refund the difference of $200 or give any other credit or consideration that I spent $400 on a lemon (Hmmm, maybe they should change the logo from an apple to a lemon). So here we are today going on phone #5 or 6 and getting nowhere with Apple except to be told that I should buy a new phone and continue to throw good money away on a shoddy product. Next step – the Attorney General’s office.

• MsR
    Nov 10, 2009 at 10:16 am

Maaaaaybe Rachel/Apple will get wind of your blog and they will figure out that app for you! Or at least replace your next broken phone for free! ;)

• Matt Baumgartner
    Nov 10, 2009 at 10:20 am

Because I was in NYC. And I wasn’t going back to Albany for another 2 days, and I needed my phone to work. In hindsight, I should have just waited to get back to the Crossgates store to fix the broken glass.

• Crabby Old Roz
    Nov 10, 2009 at 10:48 am

Team Matt all the way! Now I’m even more proud of myself for getting the cheapo phone that came with my contract from AT&T in Jan. 2007, which I still have because it still works! I have nothing but good things to say about the Xgates Apple store or about Mac computers. One last thing: Today is Tuesday, Rachel’s day.

• apples
    Nov 10, 2009 at 10:52 am

Why didn’t you check the re-ferbd phone before you left with it (to make sure it worked properly) ?

• Matt Baumgartner
    Nov 10, 2009 at 10:56 am

@ apples…. I didn’t have my computer with me at the store to sync the phone. It seemed to work until it tried to sync and then it shut down.

• esquire45
    Nov 10, 2009 at 11:07 am

The moral of the story is that the protective case is imperative on iPhones.

• Anthony Magnabosco
    Nov 10, 2009 at 11:14 am

Matt,

We fix iPods and iPhones and would love it if you’d give us a chance next time (and there likely WILL be a next time) your device needs some TLC.

Anthony Magnabosco, Owner

P.S. Check out this new video just released about how our repair process works from a independent third party: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rjBJi5O_ZQ&feature=player_embedded

• lealorali
    Nov 10, 2009 at 11:22 am

Why on earth would you go to a NYC iPhone store???

• Lisa B
    Nov 10, 2009 at 11:45 am

Matt, people are going off on Kristi’s blog about your post… (ok maybe not going off but having strong opinions) FYI.

• peter
    Nov 10, 2009 at 11:54 am

As a cruel act of revenge you should have someone go into the store that you know, make this “wonderful” person a great job offer up here in Albany and make her come up here for a very long interview 2 hours plus should do it and then when she comes all the way up here on her dime, wastes a whole day, you should come into the interview and tell her that she doesnt meet the qualifications of the position and leave the room.

• Julia
    Nov 10, 2009 at 12:12 pm

C U next Tuesday..C’mon, like we all can’t think of at least a few people who qualify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Lisa B – you’re right. It’s really funny to see the different responses on Matt’s post and Kristi’s post. Same blog story – but totally different directions.

• Sarah Joy
    Nov 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm

a bitch is a bitch is a bitch is a C U Next Tuesday…did you get a case???

• Felix
    Nov 10, 2009 at 1:27 pm

The difference is the people on this blog are cool and Kristi’s the people are just stuck up snooty bitches!!

• kingsolomon
    Nov 10, 2009 at 2:28 pm

That is the greatest posting of your blogging career! Although it could have done with a little more swearing.
    ~Sent from my Crossgates Mall iPhone~

• BAR
    Nov 10, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Speaking of bad apples ~ Joe Bruno asks pals to help pay $2.5 million in legal bills

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/11/10/2009-11-10_untitled__brunoside10m.html?comments=1#ixzz0WUJ5yeN3

WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kev Brock
    Nov 10, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Hi Friday Puppy is a happy blog!

As a fellow local celebrity blogger I run into this all the times.
    I don’t have problems with swears or using ways to say a swear without reallly saying it.
    As a matter of fact, instead of spanking or yelling, my mom used to leave me notes when I needed to get my chores right or bring my grades up and always ended it with a “p.s.” ….
    “Please Eat Nanners In Syrup From A Certain Eaterie.”
    Rock on,
    Kev

• Elliott Bruno
    Nov 10, 2009 at 3:49 pm

44. “As a fellow local celebrity blogger…”

Am I missing something, or are we getting a little bit obsessed with celebrity. Bro, loving the comparison to perezhilton on your blog.

• Flynn
    Nov 10, 2009 at 6:05 pm

The city so nice they named it twice. IDK why you spend so much time there!

• Amanda
    Nov 10, 2009 at 6:32 pm

OK, since Lisa B ratted us out in #36 (It’s like teachers pet was getting us in trouble haha) – I’ll come clean. I was a little miffed about the CU Next Tuesday comment. I get that you can say pretty much whatever you please on your blog – it just seems a bit (a lot) on the mean side when you’re calling a woman one of the most degrading words you can use over a freaking iphone that YOU broke. I mean, what’s next? Blogging about calling your doctors secretary a bitch because you showed up late your appointment and your doctor had other patients to see? :(

• Chelsea
    Nov 10, 2009 at 7:45 pm

“At this point it’s pretty safe to say we hate eachother.” LOL you kill me.

• JenA
    Nov 10, 2009 at 8:28 pm

And thats why I’m a PC

• Kimberly
    Nov 11, 2009 at 10:50 am

It’s so funny you posted about this store. My dh and I were just in there Saturday am because we had a funeral to go to on 14th and got there too early. My husband called it one of those “too cool for the room” type of places when we were in there; and I can see you agree!

• MiMi
    Nov 11, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I suggest you send this blog to both Apple stores (and the comments) so that both know what they are doing right and wrong.

• R.
    Nov 12, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Matt, you are sooo savvy and cool, so how could u not know that the service in Albany would be a gazillion times better than NYC, if only because its so much smaller?
    love ur new blog!
    hope u bought a cover case this time.
    good luck, and hmmmmm….always get serviced in albany:>)